Tuesday, February 20, 2018

For Such a Time as This

My sister is my best friend.  She seems to know what I need even before she knows the need.
She sent this email to me, copied of course, but spot on!
 
I saw a wooden boat turned upside down on the shoreline of a frozen lake, and the Lord said, "You have been beached for a season.  The environment has been harsh and you have been relatively sidelined, but the time is near for you to launch out into the waters of My Spirit and do what you have been called to do.  You will begin to navigate your life in a way that will fulfill your destiny and be rewarding at the same time."
 
"May He grant you according to your heart's desire and fulfill all your purpose."
Psalm 20:4
 
My mama used to say, "Don't wish your life away." She said that many times when she'd hear me say, "I wish Friday would hurry and get here. I can't wait to graduate.  I can't wait to get married and get out of here." 
 
And she was right. 
 
I feel like I've spent so much of my time stuck in the What-if  and I wish wondering when the I am will come.
Right now, I am wishing for this job to be done.  I am sooo very tired.  I don't know that I have ever endured such a beating to my self-esteem.  My boss is harsh and hard and wants perfection. While I wonder how good will come out of this, I realize that everything is not about me.  Maybe I have been here for such a time as this, to help someone else. 
 
I think of the sweet wife who cares for her wandering husband day and night, afraid that she'll close her eyes or turn her head for a moment, and he'll be gone.  She keeps child-proof locks on doors and drawers and cabinets and appliances so he can't drink or eat the cleaning products, cough syrup, rat poison or syrup.  She's struggling now with blood pressure and heart issues and she fears what will happen if or when she's gone. She longs to visit her children who serve as missionaries in another country, but there is no respite.
 
I think of the mother with the special needs adult child who keeps working past retirement just to keep her sanity because she knows there will never be a time when she ceases to be a caregiver.  
 
I think of the husband whose wife no longer recognizes him.  She screams at him to get out of her house, because he's a stranger to her now.  He's not the young man she remembers.  She even screams at the woman in the mirror who is staring at her.  She no longer recognizes herself. 
 
I think of a cowboy who made a living breeding, training, riding horses and winning medals.  In his present reality, he continues to breed, train and ride.  At 3:00 every afternoon, he pushes through to get home to feed the horses.  He becomes combative, irate, cursing and fighting for a way to get out of the prison that has him bound.
 
I think of a broken man who snapped, beat his wife, and landed himself in a prison cell.  There he was beaten and broken and left to die.  Born with CP, he had to fight his entire life. He continues to fight, cares for his 93 year old mom and will always be a hero in my eyes.  His courage and determination amazes me!  God is a redeeming God!
 
I think of a little lady whose words are all tangled between Italy and America. She is convinced it all happened after her son in law threw her in the river. (He didn't)  She doesn't know how she survived. Her  perception is her present reality.
 
I hear countless times a day,
 
"My daddy's a Baptist Preacher." 
 
"I'm from Southwest Georgia, Alllbeenie (Albany), GA."
 
"Where are you originally from?"
 
"What time is it?  When will my wife be here?"
 
"Is someone in the bathroom?"
 
"I've got to get home and feed the cows."
 
"My daddy will be home soon.  He doesn't know where I am."
 
And from those who can't speak,
it's a push and a shove, a grunt or a bark or a squeal
just to get someone, anyone to pay attention.
 
Yes, I'm tired.  But sad, too.  Sad to admit that I can't handle it.  Sad to say goodbye even when I know it's in my best interest.  Sad because I wonder who will listen now.  Oh, I'm not on an ego-trip.  I just know that to some, it's just a job. Some don't have time for families. To some, it's all about the money. 
 
So, when you say a prayer tonight, remember these whom I love and leave.
 
Isn't he the cutest???


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Bless your heart......
    Yes, saying a prayer for you and those you care about. This is a hard thing for you to do. God bless you as you have blessed others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{Bonnie}}} you must keep the faith, honest...keeping you in prayer sweet friend...p.s. on an up note, I love the new look here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie...you have opened up your heart and soul and expressed it so beautifully in this post. It's so sad isn't it? The young man in the photos reminds me a lot of one of Jim's guys...and you are right about most of the time being all about the money...he experiences this in the group home too. Send them there to live for someone else to take care of and we will draw a check from the government! I know this must be such a bittersweet time in your life and yes, God knows best! Love and prayers to you as you embark on the new journey God has in store. You will do great things through Him! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so see how hard leaving is for you. I know God has a plan though and it's going to be a good thing. Yes - that young man looks like a sweet heart!
    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW that you have made a difference in the lives of all you have crossed paths with! I pray that each one you talked about will find someone to listen and love them! God has a plan for you, change is good! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I read this post today!!
    My mother is in the beginning stages of dementia at age 87, and my sisters and I trade off with helping her. Only recently have I found myself getting impatient or irritated with her forgetting, her repeating, her reluctance to take a shower, or eat. She just isn't the same mommy I've always depended on. I wonder where she went.I can't help thinking what a moron God is for letting people age this way. Especially the good people, who were perfect mothers or fathers, and worked hard and made it through the depression and all of the hardships that todays generation would never survive. It's all so confusing to me. I wish only the bad people in this world would get dementia and all of the other things that the elderly have to suffer with.
    Sorry for that crack about God. I know he's not a moron. I'll bet God is pretty used to people shaking their fists in the air at him and saying things they shouldn't. For my sake, I hope he is!
    Anyway, thanks for the wonderful post, and might I add that you seem like a pretty wonderful person.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever you are doing, or working, take heart, God knows your need. I had a job that was impossible. I think I was led there to realize that it was time for me to retire and spend more time with my Mom. That was four years ago, and I thank God I was in that situation so that I did leave! Your job sounds heartbreaking. I would have difficulty as I am sure you do too. I think you are sensitive like I am. Just so many to pray for. Hugs and blessings!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward for more informative posts like this one.
    long stay parking manchester

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.