Saturday, August 11, 2018

Goodbye Facebook, Hello Blogging Friends.

I am taking a break from Facebook for several reasons.
 
First, it's time-consuming.
It becomes an obsession, always with a phone in hand and
not a moment when the mind is at rest-
an empty-brain zone.
 
Second, because of all of the above, we are looking for
others to comment, like or share. 
 
"Others have comments, why don't I."
Secretly I am screaming, "Validate me! Make me feel loved, accepted
and approved."  When my sense of worth and approval should always come
from my Maker.
 
This has been a hard few months for us, a test.
David has always been the strong one,
never sick. 
We've sought peace, pursued it and experienced it.
 
However, if the enemy can't get in one way, he'll try another.
He's tried, through Facebook, to convince me that our friends at home,
because they didn't comment, didn't care.
That we were gone and forgotten.
He is a LIAR! 
 
Last, there's always the tendency to compare.
"Her family's perfect."
"They always get vacations! The only trip I get is to the grocery store."
 
Thus, the break and maybe more blogging,
more time in the Word,
and more peace.
 
When I am blogging, I tend to look for the beauty in things-
my collections, the things and people that I love, nature and
the things that matter most.
 
Take for instance, this morning I had to mail a package.
While doing so, I passed a couple of yard sales.
I stopped. I backed up and spent a few minutes talking
to strangers, a simple pleasure that I haven't done in awhile.
 
As turning down the road to go home, I spotted a fence
that I pass everyday.
I noticed. I stopped. I turned around.
 
I enjoyed the beauty of the rusty and crusty,
and I took the time to consider the fence.

Fences
(I blogged a few years ago.)
 
how fences, keep others out.
how some fences can puncture and wound.
how fences, can stop us from going further.
 
 
 
 
Sometimes, we fence ourselves in by
keeping others out. 

 
We are wounded so we keep others out.
We wound because others have kept us out.
 
I passed a fence that was open.
I started to turn in.
The "No Trespassing" sign was an indication to
"Keep Out!"
I obeyed.
Therefore, no photo.
 
Sometimes, we open our fences just a bit,
but our sign continues to read,
"No Trespassing."
 
Sometimes fences are hidden as was one that I passed.
Had I tried to walk through the path that I thought
was a passage, I would have been stopped from going in.
 
Fences...I'll be thinking on this when I'm sitting quietly...
without a cell phone in hand.

By the way, we found out
that David has a full bladder of stones.
He has a couple of large ones and the rest are like grains of sand.
His prostate is another problem, but no cancer.
A couple of surgeries or one.
He is waiting to find out.

We're good and thankful and praising God
that's it's not a tumor which we honestly considered.

Thanks for your prayers,
Bonnie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. I've really slowed down on FB too. I check it for a few minutes, but don't let myself get sucked in. Good thoughts on fences.
    I'm so glad David has an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I will pray for David, you and your family. I want to ask you not to judge your worth or anything else by Face Book, please. You know in your heart God loves you, your family and friends love you and so do many of us you have never met. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss you on Facebook but I love reading your blog posts even more. I blog about stuff I would never put on Facebook and I know you do too. Writing on my blog is mostly for me anyway...many times just a way of letting what's in my heart come to the outside. This is truly a beautiful post, my friend....looking forward to more! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. My FB time is coming to an end and I fully understand where you are coming from. I keep my FB and Blog separate. We have family who like to "rat me" out....anyways, keeping David (and you) in prayer, please keep us updated when you get the time, Bonnie. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I READ posts on Facebook and scroll thru the pictures, seldom do I comment because you get all of the replies and other comments that blow up your phone. I keep up with my family but I always say that "I am the WORST Facebook friend" EVER. I just don't do much on Facebook. I love blogging and the positive vibes I get here:) I follow my family on Snapchat and Instagram but again, I seldom post:) I will pray for David and the surgery that lies ahead. God is good ALL THE TIME! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilled to see you here, my friend! I do FB because it's a way to keep up with my family all over the world. We have a Witmer family page and a sibling page...both are private. And I do post to for all friends to see what's up with my world :). Blogging takes time but I'm willing to take that time once in awhile to write a post.
    Love your fence piece!! And so glad that David had some answers.
    Sending love and a hug from PA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about David's health issues; praying that he's gonna have it all taken care of soon.
    I took FB off my phone a while ago and only look at it when I'm at home on my laptop.
    Love the meaning of the fences; what a way to look at them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see your post. I am so sorry to hear your husband has some surgery in front of him, and grateful, his issues can be treated. I check into Facebook once or twice a week to make sure I haven't forgotten a birthday, and if I have seen out a belated birthday wish. If I have a social media addiction it is Instagram. I actually (blushing) have two accounts: a private and a public book review account. I am just now tryin to return to blogging because I have missed the writing. Comments sweet lady do not define who we are. I hope you are having a great day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my friend.
    I enjoy the slower paced world here too.
    Prayers for your intentions. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie! I'm thankful for your hubby's report. I know those kidney stones are horrible and praise God things could be harder. Thank you so much for popping in to see me. I agree about Facebook. I'm on FB but not as much as I used to be. Ive neglected my blog and after I get settled a bit I want to start posting more often.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.