Monday, December 4, 2017

Looking Beyond the Holiday Mess

Boxes, broken ornaments, tangled lights, and wrapping paper strewn all around. What a mess!

I went  to The Marketplace on Saturday only to pick up one bottle of body spray for myself and an ornament for our Women of Covenant Christmas exchange. The traffic was a mess.  The parking lot was a mess.  I was The Biggest Mess before it was over. I quickly decided I didn’t need to spend $15 for one spray bottle while the world was buying 10 candles for $8.95 each. After a push here and a shove there, two hours which should have taken 30 minutes, a few horns blown (I confess most of it was me), I finally made it home. I declared to myself, “If this is what Christmas is all about, I think I’ll sleep through it. Bah Humbug.”

I’m glad my hope is not in the signs of the season but in the sign Isaiah said to look for- a baby born in a manager, Immanuel, GOD WITH US!

Yesterday we had a beautiful service at church, closing out the series by our pastor, Overwhelmed. Yes, I admit I have been a bit overwhelmed with just daily living stuff. I have been doing some Bible journaling of which I am not very good, however I can hear God speak to me in the mess. As I began to read I John 3:1 about the Father’s Love, I kept hearing the words, “He is not very far from each one of us.” I immediately googled Blue Letter Bible and found the reference, Acts 17:27. Paul was speaking about God’s purpose in His design of creation, that man may know Him.

I pray that during this Christmas season, I’ll be able to look beyond the mess and see the beauty of the True Gift of Jesus and  that I may truly know Him.



 
Just about ready to sit back and enjoy the season.
 
 
I'm trying to be more intentional this year about remembering the true meaning of Christmas.
I hope you'll join me.
 


 
 
 




7 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts today, my friend.
    Have a cozy evening.
    You home looks lovely. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look it how much the grandkids have grown!! Such a pleasure to see them, Bonnie. I hope you have a beautiful joyous day, regardless of what's going on. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this post, Bonnie. I feel just as you do...it breaks my heart what has happened to Christmas...so commercialized and all about STUFF...I abhor it! I am pretty sure it breaks the heart of God too when He sees the greed and selfishness in his people and the way they celebrate our Savior's birth! Thank you posting this truth! And I am thrilled to see you posting AND the beautiful new look of your blog! Hugs to you, my friend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right!
    Your house looks nice and those kids are growing far too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have it down right. My dearest and I are really spending more time reading, praying and enjoying something our church does. The Jesse Tree Advent. An ornament for each day from Dec. 1 to 25. Each depicting a prophecy of the coming Messiah. Will share it on my blog soon. Merry CHRISTmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those grands are precious. Nothing like them. Love this post today. Oh may we not get caught up in all the hoopdala and focus on the message of Christ. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy out there! I have done most of my shopping on-line. Love your tree and your thoughts about the real meaning of Christmas. I pray we all remember what it IS all about. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.