Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Eggs Hunts, A Basket, and A Bonnet

Easter Egg Hunts 

Mama would color eggs
the old fashioned way-
not the pre-packaged stuff in the stores today-
the vinegar-and-food-coloring stuff.

 Photo by Jessica Aycock

Being the artist that she was,
she knew how to combine one color
and then another
to make

PURPLE
TURQUOISE
ORANGE
LIME GREEN
AQUA

She knew just how much red to put in to make pink
and how much blue to add to make purple.

Photo by Jessica Aycock

And we always had the same straw
basket year after year,
filled with goodies from
Hartley's Five and Ten
The Easter Bunny.

Our dresses were never
"store-bought,"
but
"sewn on the sewing machine,"
as mama would call it.

Our little girl outfits 
included
a bonnet, a dress, white socks,
white or black patented leather shoes, 
a purse, and white gloves.

What mama didn't buy in dresses
she made up for in accessories.



I tried to do the same for my baby girl.

I sure do miss the days of coloring, hiding, 
and hunting.

So enjoy the hunt, the basket,
and don't forget the bonnet.

Happy Easter!
Bonnie:)



1 comment:

  1. Bonnie- What a sweet picture! We used to color our eggs that way, too, when I was growing up. I don't think anyone does that anymore...but remember the smell of vinegar and how strong it was? What fun memories that draws up- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.