Saturday, March 2, 2013

River Street and a Cobblestone Path

While blogging about recent
Southern weddings in 
Savannah style,
I became obsessed with
the city.

My fantasy became reality 
this weekend 
as my Mr. H
said, 
"Let's pack a bag and head south."

I tried to remain cool, 
but my heart was on a rampage 
and he could not see that my insides 
were jumping up and down.


I LOOOOVE RIVER STREET!

"River Street is a glittering, multi-faceted gem
along the broad Savannah River,"


The River Street Inn is a 5-story historic 
inn that has been preserved to provide
contemporary leisure with a taste
of charm from yesteryears.

Built in 1817, it was adjacent to the Cotton Exchange
and was used to store cotton.

Now, tourists enjoy the view of the Savannah River
from the French Balconies.


Most of the structures, over a century old, 
were once cotton warehouses
that have now been converted
to antique shops, boutiques, art galleries,
pubs, restaurants, and inns.


One of my yummies (literally) is 
The River Street Sweets Candy Store.


The candy shop is famous for its 
world famous pralines.
Me and my sweetie opted for a just a taste
of the WARM pralines,


made by hand, right before our eyes. 
The shop smelled YUMMY!

Since we both are already TOO SWEET
(both diabetic:(


we opted for a cup of Java 
at 
Vic's on the River.


I had a steaming 
Caramel, Chocolate, Toffee Latte.
No, it was not sugarless.

The hubby had a boring cup of
Colombian Dark Roast.


No, we didn't splurge on the Riverboat cruise,
but watched the ships come in and out of the port.


Couldn't help but show my Georgia pride.


This massive cargo ship
housed the living quarters almost 10 floors high
with cargo almost as high.


Here's a more distant view.


A cold day in Georgia, 
I was 3-layer-deep
in garments.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......


Savannah is home of SCAD,
Savannah College of Art and Design.

This gentleman of course was not a student
but a struggling artist
willing to share his talent.


His version of a sad time 
in America's history.

I asked if I could take his picture.
He gladly reciprocated.

We gave him a $5 bill and you would have 
thought we had offered him $500.
He was most appreciative.


He said he was about to draw Marilyn Monroe.
It was too coooold to stay still
so we meandered on down the road.


The upper level housed many antique shoppes.
I loved the character of this little shop.
Crusty brick with natural patina- my favorite. 


Most of the shops had a sign posted, 
"Photography prohibited,"
so I took an outside shot
through the window
of this silver dresser set.


The path up and down River Street 
is cobblestone.

While walking, 
I slipped a couple of times,
lost my bearings, and 
turned my ankle.

Without David's hand,
I would have gone a-sprawling.

This little almost-accident 
got me to thinking...

Sometimes in life, 
we find ourselves on rocky ground.
The road is hard,
the days are dark,
and the nights are long.

In Jesus we can claim the promise
of the coming of our Messiah
when

"Every valley shall be raised up,
every mountain and hill made low,
the rough ground shall become level,
the rugged places a plain,
And the glory of the Lord will be revealed,
and all mankind together will see it.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."
Isaiah 40:4-5

Oh, how I long for the Glory of the Lord, 
to see Him, to hear His voice, and know His presence.

We find ourselves
yearning for level ground.

As the Psalmist we cry,

"...may your good Spirit lead me on level ground."
Psalm 143:10

Without the help of a Hand 
that is stronger, 
we would lose our bearings
and fall.

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms
and weak knees.
Make level paths for your feet, 
so that the lame may not be disabled, 
but rather healed."
Hebrews 12:12-13

I love the reference to the Old Testament.
It promises that our God WILL COME.

"Strengthen the feeble hands, 
steady the knees that give way;
say to those with fearful hearts,
Be strong, do not fear,
your God WILL COME..."
Isaiah 35:3-4


We made it to the top 
and the view was worth
the rocky journey.

Bad knees and all,
I wouldn't have made it without a 
strong body to lean on
and a good man
who practically carried me.

As Angie Smith says in her book, 
"Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole,"

"Make your life an offering, and allow
the hands of the Father to carry you
through what you think is impossible.
I assure you that through it
He will show you
His boundless, freeing love, 
which allows us the strength
to make it another day."





1 comment:

  1. Hey girl. I had to run through your post quickly. I just needed to ask you if you get my emails I send you? I think about you often.

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.