Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful

Again, I'm moving things about. 


I think I may have already posted the sign, 
"Be your own kind of beautiful."

I found it in the $1 bin at Target.
Yes, $1!

I move it around to remind myself 
that no, I am not skinny. 

I am lumpy and bumpy.

I have more wrinkles than I did last year
and when the color fades from my hair, I see more gray.

I want to be healthy and I have made a goal to get there.
But while I work on it, I'm gonna be my own kind of beautiful.


When I was a teenager and young adult, 
my best friend was beautiful, tiny and was/is one of the most 
precious persons you will meet.

She has the ability to see the good in everyone.

She and my brother and I sang together. 
My daughter, niece and nephew played 
"Bonnie, Bruce and Dale."

Of course, my nephew played "Bruce."
My niece and daughter would always argue over who 
was going to play "Dale."
She had the beautiful, sweet voice. 
I was the deep alto.

Little girls in high heels with hairbrushes in hand singing,
what a beautiful memory!

Shoot, even I wanted to be Dale when I grew up.


As God has begun to shape me and make me into who He
wants me to be, I am learning to be my own kind of beautiful.
Yes, and He's still working on me!

I am learning that God has given me gifts, a purpose for which I was created. 


We all come from different places, different backgrounds, 
different homes with different stories. 
I've learned that some of our stories are much the same.
Beauty in memories mixed with pain in the now. 

We are all in different seasons of our lives. 

Some of you are discouraged, some of you are exhausted
some are hurting, some are grieving, some are frustrated 
and fed up with life. 

Some of you are taking care of little ones, 

some of you are taking care of a sick loved one,

some of you are caring for aging parents

and some of you are just trying to keep your head above water
to take care of yourself.

Whevever you are in life, you are beautiful and precious
in God's sight, 
no matter how hard life may be at the moment. 

The piece above is a distressed platter from a shop 
that I found last week. 

It is different. 
It kinda reminds me of the oyster plate. 

I got to thinking.
You are the pearl in the oyster shell.

The shell is rugged and hard and not pretty, 
but hidden somewhere inside is a beautiful pearl. 

Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful!




16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is sweet. You are so right, we are each the pearl in the oyster shell. I told a new friend from Bible study that the group is precious to me and that we are each so different and also so much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a large sign hanging above my stairs that says that very same thing! I love the message in it too. I get tired of trying to keep up with other's expectations and I've always liked being a little different from everyone in some small way. I guess there is a little rebel in me. So, it's a good quote for sure! As I've gotten older I've learned to be more accepting of bad things happening. I used to get very freaked out about it. Now, I've come to expect it in life and remember that I will get through it because I've gotten through other bad things before. That's what I try to hang on to when I feel that life is giving me lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. This post speaks to me (and probably to everyone who reads it).
    Thank you for your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post, Bonnie. I love that everyone is different and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, you have written such beautiful words here and I don't think you have left anyone out! How could one read this a not be encouraged?! Thank you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I'm lumpy and bumpy too :) and working towards better health, slow go...
    Bless you for these encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfectly beautiful post! I am encouraged and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Head above water for me, sweet friend...beautiful...and very uplifting, thank you. Sending you tons of hugs. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing you move things around, and when you share your wonderful thoughts you always touch me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks so much for these encouraging words dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ONE DOLLAR? I want one of those:) YES, this post is SO true! There are so many feeling this way or that... WE are all beautiful/special in God's eyes! Have a blessed day and thanks for this important reminder! BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Bonnie, for this encouraging post. You painted my picture in a number of places, as I'm finding myself in a season I didn't expect ... at least not exactly how it's playing out. But God is here, as He is in all seasons, and there is much beauty to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post, Bonnie! I had that wording in vinyl on my bathroom mirror where I used to live. I think it's an excellent reminder for us. God has the Master Plan, we don't. Sooooo many times I've wondered why things happen but I try not to now. We won't have the answers here on earth. :)

    Take good care!
    xoxo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a good blog you have here. Keep Your Work Up....
    ____________
    iphone 6 Gold HD Wallpaper

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post, it really makes you think. God made each and every one of us special and we need to embrace that. I'm still learning LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.