Monday, March 5, 2012

The Promise of Spring After a Season of Winter, Part 1

I know that I can get a little melancholy from time to time...

Well, more often than not.

This is the week of the anniversary of my Dad's death and my heart is aching as I look for the promise of a new season, a new beginning.  The Promise of Spring After a Season of Winter, Part 1
is the first of several posts that I will share this week.  Please allow me to indulge.

My love for the old and the memories they stir within me, gives me a sense of peace and a promise that there will be sunshine after rain and Spring after Winter. 

We all have seasons of winter that come in like a flood and linger long after.  With anticipation, we wait, hope and have faith that Spring is on the way.

I took a walk today around my parent's lot in hopes to find a glimpse of Spring.


This tree holds the bud that blossums first each year.  It requires little to no pruning, so it's my kind of bloom.  The cracked branch bears new life.

The gerbera daisies were planted when the house was built in 1996.  They manage to raise their heads in the dead of winter.  Another promise of Spring in the midst of our Winter.

Sweet Georgia Pines-the Evergreen- a sure sign that somethings remain forever green and that there is LIFE among the dead. 

Past the bloom is an empty spot which once housed my daddy's boat. God, help us not to miss the promise by focusing on the pain.

A favorite song, Seasons, by Nicole Nordeman, says how I'm feeling...

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice YOU when branches crack
Even now in death, you open doors for life to enter
You are winter.

And everything that's new, has bravely survived
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through, is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with YOU
And how you make me new
With every season change
And so it will be, as you are creating me.
You are summer, autumn, winter, spring.

My daughter sang this at her graduation from Trevecca Nazarene University.  My dad received an honorary doctorate degree.  How ironic!





2 comments:

  1. Hugs to you sweet Bonnie. I hope writing it out helps. It sure helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being a faitful follower and friend and for introducing to this great means of expression. It does help. I've dried my tears one more time. They will come again, but there is always healing in them.

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.