Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lessons from an Old Church Pew


I love an old pew.

There are stories
hidden within the wood
of an old pew.



One story goes like this...

Daddy was the preacher man and
Mama played the piano.

Mark Lowry said,
"Mama would be playing and singing,
' Oh, victory in Jesus,
my Savior forever,
then she'd spot me in the balcony'."

Like his mama,
Mama would clear her throat
and you could hear it above the singing.

One particular Sunday, Mama's
watchful eye caught me undressing.

Yes, right there on the
second row, piano side pew.

What can you expect
from a three-year old dressed
 in lace from head to toe?

First, the hat came off,
then the white gloves,
then the socks,
then the shoes.

Before I could finish,
she had snatched me up
and taken me to the dreaded
"back Sunday School room,"
and commenced to "wear me out."

I learned to be quiet in church...

OR

be pinched.

Whew!  Mama didn't just pinch;
she dug her nails in, twisted and pulled.

Can I get a witness???

I guess that was better than
the thump on the back of the head
that my brother got for going
to sleep on the front row pew.


It was under the church pew
that I "spit that gum out."


It was on a church pew that
I learned to talk without being heard,
The pre-cell phone, note-passing trick.

We only got caught once.

In his pulpit voice Daddy said,
"I know two teenagers who
are gonna get it when they get home."

We knew who "they" was
and "get it" we did!

But most importantly,
it was while sitting on a church pew
that I first felt the call of God.



It was from a pew like this that
I walked forward and gave my heart to Jesus.


This pew has eternal significance.

It was from a church pew and a preacher-man daddy
and a piano-playing mama
that I learned to be quiet, not chew gum or
pass notes in church.

More importantly, it was here that 
I accepted and learned to love Jesus.


Blessings in Abundance, 
Bonnie:)














13 comments:

  1. I love this! I also had a special fondness for old church pews and had many of the same experiences on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, love this, wonderful story. I love old pews so much bought one and have it in my living room, treasure it, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!
    I love what you did with that beautiful pew!!!!
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old is gold!! You have proved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 OLD church pews (we called them benches) stored in our barn. They came from the church I grew up in. Now I'm moving and I may have to give them up... Sad, indeed! I don't think they will fit anywhere in the house and there isn't a barn for storing them. Sigh.
    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love church pews and the history that each one holds. Yours is beautiful...sweet post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BONNIE!!! (sorry, didn't mean to shout ;))--I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new background..really I do. I love old church pews as well..thank you for sharing and making me smile. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness gracious! We can see all the love you put into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was cute. Must be sweet memories for you and siblings. :)
    Nice pews. I just realized they might make dandy porch benches, if the back pitch isn't too high. It would need to be comfortable you know.
    Thanks for sharing. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post. I LOVE your pew!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a sweet pew:) Precious memories for sure! Enjoy your week dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Precious memories and I love the pew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pews are very special to me too.

    We had two old pews on each side of our porch in Hughson. Many talks and hearts poured out on those pews as people would stop by for some love and comfort for a hurt or pain.

    I had to leave them..boo hoo. They were just too heavy and old to bring as we were downsizing to a small cottage. I hope they are still on the porch of the parsonage.

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.