Sunday, May 4, 2014

Quilts and Community

I was fascinated by the quilts
and the linens yesterday.  


After I got married, 
Mama turned my room into a quilting/sewing room.
She had a wooden frame like they used
when she was a little girl.


She told us stories of how the children would 
sit under the quilting frame and listen 
to the ladies in the community talk.


Mama's family had their own community 
among themselves with three sisters 
Granny, Grandmother, aunts and cousins.

The girls were expected to make their own quilt.
Mama made her first one when she was 8 years old.



Community was something you didn't 
have to look very far to find. 

Everyone helped each other. 


If there was a need in the community
or someone was burned out, 
Granny would bake some larded biscuits
and grab a couple of quilts 
to take the family.

She always said, 
"At least they will be warm and won't go hungry."


One thing that we are lacking today is community.
I never realized how much until my parents died. 

I struggle with my place in the church now. 
I long for community.  I long for a place to belong. 
Because you see, we really do need each other. 

The Early Church knew community.

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. 
No one claimed that any of his possessions
was his own, but they shared everything they had."
Acts 4:32

Wouldn't need welfare, would we?

"Now you are the body of Christ, 
and each one is a part of it."
1 Corinthians 12:27

We Really Do Need Each Other, 

Bonnie:)




7 comments:

  1. I totally agree...it use to be the churches and the communities that took care of each other..now..it is man eats world mentality or the mememememe.How sad this generation has become. Sad..just plum sad. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I like what your grandma said when giving quilts and biscuits. How sweet of her. I bet her biscuits tasted just like my aunt Helen's. We do all need each other. I know that when I lost my parents and most of their generation, things do seem different. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so interesting that you wrote about this today, because I have been thinking a lot about this subject the last few days. I miss the sense of community that I knew as a child. It is something that I wish we could find again. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about this too. When I was a kid our churches were smaller, everyone knew each other quite well and if someone had trouble everyone would help out. I miss that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings to you. The quilts are beautiful and I think your post has a lot to say. Most of my family is so spread out by miles. Memories are precious and I miss so much about the way things were.
    d

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, the quilts are beautiful and I love the story about the little girls sitting under the quilting frame listening to the gossip. I have a quilt top that my great grandmother made but no one ever got around to quilting it..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds just like my childhood! The quilt being made, set up on those wooden frames and kids playing underneath:) BEST memories! And community was always there when someone needed something! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.