Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bring the Garden Inside

I read somewhere "Flowers are God's way of smiling."  I like that.

I never feel closer to God than when I am near his beautiful creations.  He is everywhere.  I feel Him when I view a sunset, hear the sound of the rushing waves of the ocean or the trickle of a mountain stream.  I see Him in a single flower.

I don't have the kind of soil that will grow a garden so I have to buy the garden.  I don't prefer the heat anyway so I bring it inside. 

Better Homes and Gardens, "Garden Style," shares how to bring the garden inside.


"The pleasure of garden style is that no matter where you live, no matter the season, you can invite the outdoors into your home.  Houseplants; flower-filled pottery vases; vintage garden accessories and tools, and simple, timeworn furniture are equally at home in a city apartment, a house in the suburbs, or a country cottage."

I have a simple 1090 square foot 1960's ranch-style brick house.  It has been home for 27 years now.  I am most comfortable when I am surrounded by the small things that I love.  I prefer pieces of furniture that I find in different places.  My ladder back chairs have been several different colors to go with whatever I am feeling for the season.

Garden Style suggests that you start with what you feel comfortable with. I grabbed these fresh daisies and mums, my favorties, from Walmart.  I used my pitchers as vases.  As a matter of fact, I don't think I own a vase.  I use my jars, buckets and pitchers for decorating.



I used my Southern Living Cake Plate/Chip and Dip to add height, making a nice centerpiece.

Think color combinations, such as the blue, white and yellow that I have here.  The vintage tablecloth is one that I use often.  It has tiny cherry prints that the photo taken with my $99 camera doesn't capture.  I pick up pieces of vintage linen everywhere I go.  Linen is a great way to add color to any garden setting.

Bring in the garden with fresh vegetables.  Our local farmer's market is bustling with activity on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  And Zeke can be found around town most any day of the week.

The watermelon adds a pop of color as well as flavor.

YUMMY! 

With carefully chosen elements, your garden style can translate into your decorating style.

So I bring the garden inside...it's much cooler in here:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the friendships I have developed through blogging. Visit and comment and I'll be sure to drop by and talk to you.